Physical Therapy at Tri-State Pain offers expert treatment for sprains and strains. A sprain is a stretch or tear of a ligament, whereas a strain is an injury to a muscle or tendon.
While we use different treatment approaches for a sprain or strain, our focus is the same – decreasing symptoms and restoring function. Once the injured muscle can resume strength exercises, we concentrate on regaining that strength.
For a sprain, our physical therapists work with you to minimize swelling and pain using:
- Exercises to strengthen and stretch the muscles surrounding the affected joint
- Mobilization techniques performed to the affected joint
- Heat, ice or electrical stimulation
For a strain, our physical therapists use treatment that includes:
- Exercises to stretch and strengthen both the involved and surrounding muscles
- Soft tissue mobilization to break up fibrous tissue and scar tissue
- Heat or ice as needed to control swelling and pain