OUR PLEDGE REGARDING MEDICAL INFORMATION
We understand that medical information about you and your health is personal. We are committed to protecting medical information about you. We create a record of care and services you receive in our center. We need this record to provide you with quality care and to comply with certain legal requirements. This notice applies to all the records of your care. This notice will tell you about the ways in which we use and disclose medical information about you. It also describes your rights and certain obligations we have regarding the use and disclosure of medical information.
We are required by law to:
- Make sure that medical information that identifies you is kept private
- Give you this notice of our legal duties and privacy practices with respect to protected medical information about you
- Follow the terms of the notice that is currently in effect.
HIPAA NOTICE OF PRIVACY PRACTICES
Greater Erie Surgery Center is required to maintain the privacy of your health information and provide you with a notice of its legal duties and privacy practices. We call this information “protected health information” of “PHI”. Greater Erie Surgery Center and its professional staffs are providing you with a joint notice with respect to services provided.
What is a Notice or Privacy Practices?
It is a formal document that describes how your medical information is used by our staff and disclosed to others. It also describes your privacy rights.
Why am I provided this document?
We take great care in treating you and your information with respect and confidentially. A Federal law now requires us to notify you of our privacy practices in a more structured format.
How is my medical Information used?
- To plan your treatment
- To submit claims to your Insurance
- To measure our quality of service
Are there circumstances where my information is used without my prior permission?
- Public health & other safety issues
- Requirements by State, Federal, & local law
- Certain types of research
What are my rights described in this notice?
- To review or copy your medical records
- To request an amendment to your medical information
- To receive an accounting of disclosures of your medical information
- To request a restriction I how we disclose your medical information
- To have us communicate with you in a certain way or at a certain location
- To make a complaint about a privacy issue
- To authorize other releases of your medical information
Who will follow this notice?
All physicians and employees of the Greater Erie Surgery Center
Who does this notice not cover?
Any independent physician practices or operations of health care and service providers that provide services independent of Greater Erie Surgery Center
A complete Notice of Privacy Practices will be given to you on the day of your procedure.
If you believe your privacy rights have been violated you may file a complaint with the Center, addressed to the Privacy Officer.
U.S. Dept of Health and Human Services
7500 Security Blvd. C5-24-04
Baltimore, MD 21244
All complaints must be submitted in writing. You will not be penalized for filing a complaint.